Blackberry, Bacon & Blue Cheese Salad
FREE FROM: wheat, corn, soy, nightshades, nuts
CONTAINS: dairy, citrus
SERVES: 4 people
- 5 strips nitrate-free bacon
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 8 oz blackberries, divided
- 2-3 fresh sage leaves (OR ¼ tsp dried sage)
- 1 clove garlic (OR ½ tsp garlic powder)
- Himalayan Crystal Salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 8oz mixed greens
- ¼ cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup very thinly sliced red onion
- Blackberries: high in vitamin C and pectin
- Mixed Greens: antioxidants, bioflavonoids, vitamins C, K, and folic acid, and fiber
- Lemon: citric acid, vitamin C, and potassium
- Fry the bacon in a skillet until well done. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Allow to cool completely, then crumble into bite-size pieces.
- Using a blender or immersion blend, combine olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, sage, about 5-6 blackberries, garlic, salt, and pepper until well emulsified.
- In a large bowl, toss the mixed greens with the dressing. Top with the remaining blackberries, bacon, cheese, and onions. Serve immediately.
Photo credit: Katherine Chase Photography